Enumerating Unix users and groups from Windows

Corinna Vinschen corinna at vinschen.de
Sun Jul 27 10:40:32 GMT 2008

On Jul 26 16:11, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> > > Hmmm. Isn't MS-RPC "standard" windows?
> >
> > Well, yes.  Unfortunately I have no experience with this stuff and it
> > sounds a lot of effort for something I have a working workaround for.
> > I hope that doesn't sound too lazy...
>
> I haven't done any RPC programming under Windows so far
> either, but right now I'm deep in getting the Samba server
> side right. If you happen to dive into it, I'm sure we could
> do a lot of stuff to get the posix behaviour in cygwin a lot
> better.

Ok, I'll put that on my TODO list, but it might take some time.
Accessing the user lists is something only very seldom used, when the
user generates a new /etc/passwd of /etc/group file, so it's not *that*
high on my priority list.

What do you have in mind posix-wise?  In terms of accessing symlinks and
file information, I'd rather see something along the lines of the
Extended Attributes NFS access I described in my mail from 2008-06-23
because that would allow to get the same results on Samba and NFS shares
with only one piece of code.

Corinna