logon script newbee question

andreas moroder andreas.moroder at gmx.net
Thu Jul 24 19:47:42 GMT 2008

John H Terpstra wrote:

> On Thursday 24 July 2008 11:09:36 andreas moroder wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> in the samba.general group I asked if it  is possible to start a script
>> similar to preexec after the client has finished the logon script.
>> I got no good answer so I suppose it is not.
>
> As far as I can recall, when the client has finished processing the logon
> script it just drops the connection to the netlogon share.  If my
> recollection is correct (easily verified using wireshark), then there is
> no mechanism for the client to signal the Samba server that it has
> finished execution of the logon script, and therefore there is nothing to
> trigger post logon script processing.
>
> You could create a windows application that can be executed as teh last
> step in the logon script, and possibly use it to do what you want.

Because the script has to start on the server after the logon script on the
client ended, the only remaining solution I can see is to write to a "magic
script" file in the last line of the login script.

On the other side magic scripts are dangerous because they start a script
the user can create. Wouldn't it be a nice idea to create a thing similar
to the magic script but where the content of the script is defined on the
server side ?

Maybe this could be implemented as VFS module.

Bye
Andreas