Samba 4 alpha and OpenLDAP

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Jul 16 12:26:28 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 14:03 +0200, Christophe Thibault wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm playing withe Samba 4 alpha and OpenLDAP, but the setup/provision
> script fails.
>
> I work on a blank dedicated test machine (running Ubuntu 8.04.1).
>
> I build and install OpenLDAP (2.4.10) on the machine,
> then download the latest Samba sources
> (smbd -V says "Version 4.0.0alpha6-GIT-f567e17").
> I build Samba (configure, make, make install) then run the provision
> scripts:
>

> $ ./setup/provision-backend --realm=test.mycorp.com \
>               --ldap-admin-pass=secret \
>               --ldap-backend-type=openldap \
>               --server-role='domain controller' \
>               --domain=TEST
>
> => this script run fine
>

> $ /usr/local/openldap/libexec/slapd -d0 -f
> /usr/local/samba/private/ldap/slapd.conf -h
> ldapi://%2Fusr%2Flocal%2Fsamba%2Fprivate%2Fldap%2Fldapi
>
> => slapd seems to be started
>

> $ ./setup/provision --realm=TEST.MYCORP.COM \
>           --domain=TEST \
>           --server-role='domain controller' \
>           --ldap-backend=ldapi \
>           --username=samba-admin \
>           --password=secret

These steps look correct so far.

> => This last script fails, with the following output:
>
> Setting up share.ldb
> Setting up secrets.ldb
> Setting up the registry
> Setting up templates db
> Setting up idmap db
> schema_fsmo_init: no schema dn present: (skip schema loading)
> naming_fsmo_init: no partitions dn present: (skip loading of naming
> contexts det                                                         ails)
> pdc_fsmo_init: no domain dn present: (skip loading of domain details)
> Setting up sam.ldb attributes
> Setting up sam.ldb rootDSE
> Erasing data from partitions
> schema_fsmo_init: no schema head present: (skip schema loading)
> naming_fsmo_init: no partitions dn present: (skip loading of naming
> contexts det                                                         ails)
> pdc_fsmo_init: no domain object present: (skip loading of domain details)
> Pre-loading the Samba 4 and AD schema
> Adding DomainDN: DC=test,DC=mycorp,DC=com (permitted to fail)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "./setup/provision", line 158, in <module>
>      ldap_backend_type=opts.ldap_backend_type)
>    File "bin/python/samba/provision.py", line 1028, in provision
>      ldap_backend_type=ldap_backend_type)
>    File "bin/python/samba/provision.py", line 773, in setup_samdb
>      "DOMAIN_OC": domain_oc
>    File "bin/python/samba/provision.py", line 171, in setup_add_ldif
>      ldb.add_ldif(data)
>    File "bin/python/samba/__init__.py", line 188, in add_ldif
>      self.add(msg)
> _ldb.LdbError: (1, 'Unable to find backend operation for sequence_number')

Can you check this is all running from the same build, and that you
don't have some weird mix of two builds?  Ensure you do not have a
system ldb or similar somehow mixed in there.

I'm actively looking into LDAP backend issues, and I'll try to chase
this down a bit more tomorrow.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.