[PROPOSAL] extend UNIX_INFO2 to flag extended access controls (take 2)

Steve French smfrench at austin.rr.com
Fri Jan 25 19:00:28 GMT 2008

James Peach wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2008, at 10:09 AM, simo wrote:
>
>> And we are not considering filesystems that use alternative ACL
>> implementations.
>>
>> Wouldn't it make sense to use an "access" call implemented by CIFS
>> server instead ?
>

> In the long run, we ought to have an access call as well. That's just
> not something I have a detailed proposal for yet.

Yes, we have talked about adding an access call in the past, and it may
be time to define it, but remember that there are multiple access models
that a client could implement (for Linux cifs client it is configurable)
- one in which the client is trusted and mounts e.g. as Administrator.
In this model, the client probably wants to know more than the mode bits
to evaluate access control (although for Linux client we do this only
with the mode today).   The second model (the "multiuser mount" model,
which is necessary for untrusted clients) is one in which a different
smb uid is sent to the server based on the uid of the calling process on
the client - in this case the server can make the access decisions
properly based on the identity of the user who launched the process on
the client.  Although for this second case it may make sense to define
an access call, it does end up being very expensive (by comparison with
NFS).