[PROPOSAL] extend UNIX_INFO2 to flag extended access controls (take 2)

David Collier-Brown davecb at sun.com
Fri Jan 25 19:22:55 GMT 2008

James Peach wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2008, at 10:09 AM, simo wrote:

>> Wouldn't it make sense to use an "access" call implemented by CIFS
>> server instead ?
>

> In the long run, we ought to have an access call as well. That's just
> not something I have a detailed proposal for yet.

Hmmn, Multics and perhaps Knuthput used to have an "initiate"
call which you used before an open, but if I understand it correctly
the Unix folks rejected it as overly racey, and defined (f)open
and fstat, used in that oder.

Are there cases where we actually need the full accessibility
information but aren't going to open the file?  That does
seem faintly implausible...

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown            | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto      | some people and astonish the rest