Why Samba development is hard

Richard Hurt rnhurt at kangaroobox.com
Fri Feb 29 13:42:47 GMT 2008

As a consumer of Samba code I don't really feel like I can offer much
criticism, but I have a few things on my mind so I thought I would
share.  :)

<soapbox>
I have been trying to get Samba (3 & 4) up and going for the better
part of a week and its not been easy.  The thought that enters my mind
is that even though there are many, many groups (commercial, private,
OSS) using Samba there still aren't enough resources dedicated to it.
Samba4 has been in development for years and its just now getting to
an alpha release?  And its not even feature comparable to Samba 3!

How can Apple package it with OS X and not have some skin in the
game?  There are hundreds of products on the market that package Samba
code in one way or another (SAN boxes, NAS boxes, Tivo??, etc.) but do
they give back?  What are all these companies that are using Samba
doing with their profits?!?  Maybe I've missed it but It sure doesn't
look like they are giving back much to the community.  I know what the
GPL says but damn, help a brother out.
</soapbox>

Sorry, it just frustrates me when I see great OSS projects getting
stiffed.  :/

Later...
   Richard