Vista client + NetBIOS session setup message

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Feb 20 22:10:53 GMT 2008

Todd,

I don't have Vista available to me, so I am doing a good deal of guesswork
here, but my guess is that the NetBIOS Session Setup Request message would
be used if the Vista CIFS client resolved the name via the NBT name service
rather than the DNS.

With older Windows flavors (W2K is what I've tested), if you send a NetBIOS
Session Setup Request to port 445 the request is ignored and you time out
waiting for a reply.  The Session Setup Requests were handled properly on
port 139.

Is this anywhere close to what you're asking about?

Chris -)-----

--
"Implementing CIFS - the Common Internet FileSystem"    ISBN: 013047116X
Samba Team -- http://www.samba.org/    -)-----     Christopher R. Hertel
ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/    -)-----          crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/   -)-----             crh at ubiqx.org