CIFS mount shared out, recursive deletes fail

rootbeerisgood at juno.com rootbeerisgood at juno.com
Fri Feb 8 18:06:35 GMT 2008

We've got an interesting setup where we mount windows shares (xp, 200, 2003) via CIFS, then use Samba to share them all out from a single server running RHEL5u1. Kernel is standard for release (2.6.18-53), and I've tried Samba 3.0.23 with RHEL5, Samba 3.0.25a with RHEL5u1, and Samba 3.0.27a which I downloaded.

The issue we're seeing, which may be fixable with a single flag that I don't know about, is that when I attempt to delete a directory that has a subdirectory with files/subdirectories in it(through Windows explorer) , it fails with 'directory name is invalid'. if I immediately attempt to delete again, it fails with a 'file or path not found'. When I then look at the contents of the directory, it will have cleaned out the contents of the lowest subdirectory, but that subdirectory has become a file.  If I move up the tree manually and clean out the subdirectoies, it works, but then it still turns those subdirectories into files.

Things I have tried:

various CIFS mount flags, various versions of Samba.

rm -rf directly on CIFS mounted filesystem from RHEL5 server works properly, so I'd think that it's to do with the way Samba is recursively deleting files.

If I share a local filesystem out through Samba then recursive deletes work fine, so I'd think that the CIFS mounted shares have something to do with it.

Previous setup was rhel4/samba 3.0.10-1.4E.11/smbfs did not have this issue, though bugs in smbfs caused occasional stale/unusable mounts and led us to upgrade to the new kernel/CIFS in RHEL5 u1. I thought about downgrading to version 3.0.10-1.4E.11 to see if it works with this RHEL5/CIFS setup, but simply trying to downgrade the packages looked like dependency hell.

I realize you may need more information, just let me know what to do to collect it. I increased the log levels and can see the errors but the thing is huge, partially due to ads auth.