Samba 3.0.32 - internal change notify "legacy" mechanism

Shlomi Yaakobovich Shlomi at exanet.com
Mon Dec 8 12:06:03 GMT 2008

Hi all,

We in Exanet are trying to adapt the change notify mechanism to our
system, but we encounter some problems. Without getting into too much
technical details, suffice to say we do not use locking on our File
System the way samba code expects it to work. So we are considering an
alternate course: using the older mechanism that periodically checks the
registered directory for changes, like was implemented in older samba
versions (e.g. 3.0.20). This is obviously providing less functionality
than current solution, but we might not have any choice.

My questions are- how hard is it to make the older code work in newer
samba?  Would such change interest anyone besides us? Why was the code
completely left out in newer versions ?

Thanks
Shlomi