1c (accounting application) and samba 3.0.24: huge perfs problems

Sat Dec 6 11:28:44 GMT 2008

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 02:00:04PM +0300, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> Can you still confirm that I have the big picture correct:
> * When an application is using oplock it shouldn't issue lock request
> over the network

Yes.

> * When using write oplock , if a second client just open the same file
> the server will issue an information that the first client should
> discard its locks

No. Server tells first client to give up the oplock. This is
the moment when the client OS issues all the cached lock
requests actually to the server. Then the first client tells
the server it has given up the oplock. The second client
gets the open handle. From now on, all further locks are
registered with the server, even if the second client closes
the file again.

> * When using read oplock , if a second client just open the same file
> the server will not issue that information

That's Level 2 oplocks. These are valid for files that are
only open for read from all clients. No locking is required
here anyway.

Volker