backend-provision

Oliver Liebel oliver at itc.li
Thu Dec 4 21:44:28 GMT 2008

hi andrew,

i ran into the same strange error/behavior during openldap
backend-provision,
like a few month ago.

i used ol 2.4.13 and the latest samba4 git-version with your "dn+binary"
patch;
backend provision runs ok with:
setup/provision-backend --realm=ldap.local.site --domain=LDAP
--ldap-admin-pass="linux" --ldap-backend-type=openldap
--server-role='domain controller'

the final provision only works, if i explicit use the
--simple-bind-dn="cn=samba-admin,cn=samba" for bind operation.

using "--username=samba-admin" the bind fails ; slapd-logs are showing
in this case,
that the dn is mapped to anoynmous during bind operation:
"check a_dn_pat: cn=samba-admin,cn=samba
<= check a_dn_pat: anonymous"

using the --simple-bind-dn works for final provisioning, but
after starting samba (-i -d 5 --debug-stderr), it shows me the
same strange error i had a few month ago:

"Failed to find our own NTDS Settings objectGUID in the ldb!
Searching for fSMORoleOwner in DC=ldap,DC=local,DC=site failed: LDAP
error 32 LDAP_NO_SUCH_OBJECT -  <> <>"

seems like somethings going wrong with the sasl-bind when using
--username=....

any ideas?
did i miss something?

greetings,