Setting ACLs when creating files from Windows

Corinna Vinschen corinna at vinschen.de
Thu Aug 7 10:12:07 GMT 2008

On Aug  4 07:53, simo wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 14:00 +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm puzzeling over this problem for some time now.  So far I need
> > a special hack in Cygwin for Samba, probably because I simply don't
> > understand something about the user mapping correctly.
> >
> > My current situation is, I have a Samba server (3.0.30) which is a domain member machine.  In smb.conf, security is set to domain.  There's
> > no winbindd running.  Before I set up the domain, I had the same problem
> > using security = server with the server being another Windows machine in
> > the same workgroup.
>
> Corinna, are the samba server and the windows workstation in the same
> domain and are you using a domain user on the windows workstation ?
>
> >From the previous and following emails this is not clear and it is
> pretty critical to be able to understand if there is a mapping problem
> or if you are just experiencing the joy of Globally Unique
> identifiers :-)

I am having a Windows DC, but that's not really the point.  What I'm
looking for is something which should work also for users which just
have a Windows client OS and a Linux machine sitting under their desk,
whihc no domain setup at all.  The idea was that there's an automatic
mapping from the user and primary group SIDs in the Windows user token
of the authenticating user to a uid/gid pair on the Samba machine, using
the information in the usermap file.  However, since Volker mentioned
that there are no SIDs transferred from the Windows client machine to
the server at authentication time, there's not much chance that this
would work as I had hoped for.

Corinna