Freeze proto.h?

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Sun Apr 20 21:09:44 GMT 2008

simo wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 10:24 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 08:50:44AM +0200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > > Not that this is my turf, but as I (and most of the list) was not at the
> > > dinner, any chance you can fill me in on what the proposed value for
> > > this change is?
> > >
> > > I'm assuming this is meant to be some barrier to updating APIs?
> >
> > Yes, that's most of it. That, and it might trigger some
> > thought about an API before you just shove it in.
>
> I would second also a slowly move toward a public/private .h files model
> so that we start keeping public APIs much more stable and think 3 times
> before changing the public side of the headers. It also allows us to
> stay honest and not try to abuse our knowledge of internal structures
> that leads directly back to the ominous bigballofmud.so problem.

exactly. I already tried to do this with new code and moved some
files out ot prototype generation in the last couple of weeks.

I think we should do the complete step!

make proto gives me the creeps. also that implicit indented headers
magic created me some problems. :-)

+1 from me

Note that it is not just proto.h that needs to be checked in...

Cheers - Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>  <obnox at samba.org>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9