Freeze proto.h?

simo idra at samba.org
Sun Apr 20 13:45:34 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 10:24 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 08:50:44AM +0200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Not that this is my turf, but as I (and most of the list) was not at the
> > dinner, any chance you can fill me in on what the proposed value for
> > this change is?
> >
> > I'm assuming this is meant to be some barrier to updating APIs?
>
> Yes, that's most of it. That, and it might trigger some
> thought about an API before you just shove it in.

I would second also a slowly move toward a public/private .h files model
so that we start keeping public APIs much more stable and think 3 times
before changing the public side of the headers. It also allows us to
stay honest and not try to abuse our knowledge of internal structures
that leads directly back to the ominous bigballofmud.so problem.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Senior Software Engineer at Red Hat Inc. <ssorce at redhat.com>