[SAMBA4] SWAT2 maintainer?

Tarjei Huse tarjei at nu.no
Sun Sep 2 14:03:54 GMT 2007

Hi,

> I *really* like the interactive LDB browser, but do we just give our
> users false hope if we demo something that just doesn't have the
> developers behind it to bring it to a conclusion?
>
> Alternately, is there another web-based LDAP browser we could encourage
> users to use (such as phpLdapAdmin)?
>
> On the flip side, should we make this aspect of SWAT an external project
> - it would seem useful well beyond Samba4, why lock it up?  Perhaps it
> could attract more and useful developer attention elsewhere?

Whatever happens, people will want to add external config editors to
Samba that extends it in some fashion ( for example adding some extra
attributes in the LDAP tree for mail administration).

A good start would be to publish a fairly detailed description of
management APIs and conventions. It seems to me that projects like LDAP
Account Manager, smbldap-tools, KSambaPlugin etc have always existed a
bit outside the core samba development. How about reaching out and
asking them for help with creating the next administration frontends?

Regards,
Tarjei