compressed readx style question

Amin Azez azez at ufomechanic.net
Mon Oct 15 15:44:20 GMT 2007

Please save me if I'm making a bad mistake here, I need help on a matter
of style.

I'm arranging compression of read/write data between instances of samba;
one as client and the other as server.

In any case compressed transfers will have been negotiated at the
session level, but we need to indicate with file read/write that it is
employed for a given transfer.

Should I invent my own read level/message like:
  RAW_READ_READX_WITH_COMPRESSION_WINK_WINK

or should I just butcher the ->data contents in
smb_raw_read_send/smb_raw_read_recv (possibly causing heart attacks for
ethereal and other wire sniffers if the link is not encrypted)

or should I start adding extra fields to the VWV in the smb_raw_* functions?

Sam