RR_TYPE_NULL

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sat Oct 13 23:03:29 GMT 2007

Digging further...

Positive responses:  When the query is directed to an end node (recursion
                     desired is false) the behavior is correct.  Samba does
                     return type NB.  From the code, it appears that Samba
                     sends back a NULL type if the query is sent to an NBNS.
                     I haven't tested this, however.

Negative Responses:  XP Pro returns type NB but the RFC says NULL.  I think
                     Samba's okay returning NULL even though it doesn't
                     match Windows.

              WACK:  The RFC is self-contradictory, and Windows returns NB.

Generally speaking, I haven't seen the RR_TYPE_NULL used by Windows systems
at all.  Though it somewhat contradicts RFC 1002 (which also contradicts
itself with regard to the WACK), the use of the RR_TYPE_NB across the board
does make some sense since all of these packets are NetBIOS ("NB") related.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org