Run away number of smbd children

Tue Oct 9 05:45:56 GMT 2007

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 02:48:02PM -0500, Kevin Robinson wrote:
> I'm new to this list.  I'm running samba-3.0.26a using AD on a Solaris 9
> box (uname -a = 'Generic_122300-09 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-T12') compiled
> with gcc-3.3.2 .  We average around 600 to 800 smbd
> processes at any

What's the typical load? Do you have all current Solaris
patches applied?

If the average load is significant and you don't have a
current Solaris kernel, you might run into a condition that
I've seen years ago that you run into an O(n^3) in the
kernel with fcntl locks. I thought Tridge (Jeremy?) had
fixed this with a new handling of CLEAR_IF_FIRST for tdb's
but the might be others lurking.

Volker