Run away number of smbd children

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Mon Oct 8 20:58:24 GMT 2007

   You're in the right place.

   If prstat shows them **all** using lots of CPU, it's not a client
problem (;-))
   If prstat (and smbstatus) says you have 50 active smbd and you
have 600 smbd processes, though, you have something which is
causing clients to lose and re-make connections.
   This can be as simple as a berserk router, or as subtle
as Windows...

   Posting a link to level-10 logs and packet captures
would be a good next step.

--dave

Kevin Robinson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to this list.  I'm running samba-3.0.26a using AD on a Solaris 9
> box (uname -a = 'Generic_122300-09 sun4u sparc SUNW,Netra-T12') compiled
> with gcc-3.3.2 .  We average around 600 to 800 smbd processes at any
> given time.  Recently, however, the number of smbd processes grow up
> into the thousands and the load on the box ... well I've never seen the
> load grow to 5400+, and that was just today.  This spawning condition
> seems to be load related, but even that assumption is intermittent.  We
> do have samba answering to a cname not an aname.  Samba rocks on this
> box most of the time, btw :D
>
> I neglected to attach cores or a log level of 10 captures as I wanted to
>   ensure this was the right place to post this.
>
> gcc's compile options:
> Configured with: ../gcc-3.3.2/configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-3.3.2
> --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-languages=c,c++
> --disable-nls
> Thread model: posix
>
> samba's options:
> ./configure --with-smbwrapper --with-quotas --with-automount
> --with-acl-support \
> --prefix=/usr/local/samba-3.0.26a --with-ldap --with-ads
> --with-krb5=/usr/local/krb5
>
> Thanks in advance!

(416) 223-5943