Update on git conversion

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Oct 6 07:30:46 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 20:51 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> > On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 12:44 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> >>
> >> I think we can just use v4-0-unstable as a shared repository
> >> everyone commits to. So the same model like with svn, but having
> >> a much better tool.
> >
> > As I said, if it's all as good as people have claimed, it
> > should be easy to move after Samba3 has tried it out.
>
> Just so that we are clear on what I'm committing myself to do.
> If you wait and continue to use svn, you will have to migrate
> the new svn history yourself.

I guess it could be a while then.  :-)

> I'll let the git-svn mirror
> run and you can cherry picky for the v4-0 tree there to new
> git repo.  I'll be glad to explain how to do this based on how
> I grafted branches from cvs and svn.  The cherry-picked commits
> will look a bit odd though (see git-log against the v4-0 branch
> in the current samba git-svn mirror for examples).
>
> I strongly suggest that you experiment with git one your own
> before the real migration.  It might save you the pain of
> staying with svn later.  After the initial migration, I'm
> turning over the v4-0 branches to you guys.  :-)

What happened to this being an experiment, for us all to assess at the
end of a couple of months?  I'm a bit lost at what changed from when we
discussed this, sorry.

> There are non-technical reasons to move to git that you should
> consider as well.  But you guys decide what you want to do.

I keep getting this hand-waving, and keep missing what you mean.  Care
to give me a clue?

Thanks,