Ads server issue

Howard Wilkinson howard at cohtech.com
Fri Oct 5 10:13:25 GMT 2007

sathiya moorthy wrote:
> On 10/4/07, sathiya moorthy <prsathiyamoorthy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

> We configured Ads primary&Backup domain controller in windows 2003
>  server.we are able to fetch the user from primary domain controller by using
>  samba configuration.But we are not able to fetch the user from the Backup
>  domain controller. Sometimes, we are getting same set of users repeated again
>  from the primary domain controller.
>
>     The following are the commands that we are using to contact the
> Ads server from
> Samba to fetch the
>  users.
>
>           /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd
>           /usr/local/samba/sbin/nmbd
>           /usr/local/samba/bin/net rpc join -U Administrator%password
>           /usr/local/samba/sbin/winbindd
>           /usr/local/samba/bin/net time set -I 192.168.0.xyz
>           /usr/local/samba/bin/net ads join -U Administrator%password
>           getent passwd
>

>  Can anybody throw light on why this is happening? Thanks in advance
> for your inputs,

Your sequence of command looks iffy. Try this... and also send through a
copy of the global section of your smb.conf file.

net time set -I 192.168.0.xyz                                    ------
Better to have the servers synchronised with NTP.
net ads join -U Administrator%password
winbindd
getent passwd

Note smbd and nmbd do not need to be running to try the getent. The rpc
commands are for systems where ADS integration is not beeing attempted.

Also provide what version of Samba your are running, the platform you
are running one (Linux, Solaris, ...) and OS version. Plus what version
of Windows Server 2003 are you running with what Service Packs and hot
fixes.
--

Howard Wilkinson

Phone: