Update on git conversion

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Oct 5 04:12:25 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 18:08 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 04.10.2007, 17:59 +0200 schrieb Jelmer Vernooij:

> > > It would be really nice to know, would make things much easier imo.

> > > Personally I don't want to get mad at using 2 different VCS for samba3
> > > and samba4, I strongly support moving all trees or none.
> > +1 on switching for Samba 4 iff that means we would be able to use
> > submodules. Otherwise, I see no reason to also switch Samba 4
> *right now. It would make sense to wait until the "probation" period for
> Samba 3 is over.

Waiting until after the Samba3 trial is what we agreed at the Samba4
couch-BoF at the conference.

Provided (as we agreed) we keep the current development modal for Samba4
(everyone pushes to the central tree when they are happy with the code,
release branch is very short lived), and the build farm work is done, we
can proceed with evaluating the Samba3 trial after it is completed.

I have concerns about the deviation in Samba3 between the blender and
release branches, but as it stands with SVN we don't test release
branches on the build farm at all, so it's no real change...

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.