Update on git conversion

simo idra at samba.org
Thu Oct 4 14:30:50 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 08:56 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> I don't want to have to continually do incremental updates
> from svn to git once the migrated repo has been signed off on.
> Just give me a bit more time to line things up.  I'll post a
> draft repo of 2-2, 3-0, 3-2, and 4-0 as well as a short HOWTO
> for discussion.

I agree keeping an SVN and GIT branch in parallel would be too prone to
error probably, but can we have a test tree to get people acquainted
before the actual switch?

> > Before going online with the new git repo, we should
> > make sure it's perfect for us...What I mean here is
> > we need to think about git submodule, we wanted to use for
> > talloc, tdb, ldb, libreplace...
>
> That's not necessary initially.  Directories can be replaced
> by a submodule later on in my experience but I'll go back and
> double check again.

It would be really nice to know, would make things much easier imo.

> Also, I think you need to check with Andrew B. about his plans
> for svn and SAMBA_4_0.

Personally I don't want to get mad at using 2 different VCS for samba3
and samba4, I strongly support moving all trees or none.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer