Samba and Vista with IPv6 Presentation

David Holder david.holder at erion.co.uk
Thu May 24 17:48:29 GMT 2007

Dan,

> The key sentences I took away from the talk were:
>
>     Vista will only contact Active Directory DC over IPv6
>
> and
>
>     Altho Samba3 works over IPv6, it won't work as a DC

Almost correct! Samba3 doesn't work over IPv6. It can be made to listen
on port 445 over IPv6 which is not the same thing. Regarding the first
point, Vista will only join a AD domain over IPv6. It cannot join an NT
domain over IPv6. Since Samba3 cannot be an AD DC Vista and Longhorn
clients will not be able to join a Samba3 domain over IPv6 even if
Samba3 is given IPv6 support.

I think that the most important  point is that I believe that the
implementation of Windows Vista and Windows Longhorn will have a
significant impact on the take up of IPv6. At one extreme there will be
companies that are not interested in IPv6 that start using it simply by
implementing Vista and Longhorn. At the other extreme you will find
companies that need to move to IPv6 but that have been held back by the
lack of full support in Windows. The release of Vista and Longhorn will
allow them to go ahead and migrate to IPv6.

Keep in mind that IPv6 is the default stack for Vista and Longhorn, that
it is used in preference to IPv4 and that it is difficult to disable
completely.

Amongst these companies there will be many who are using Samba as an
integration tool. They will need Samba to support IPv6. I was giving an
IPv6 Security talk to a large EU organisation on Monday. I had not
realised until Monday that they used Samba. The lack of IPv6 support in
Samba will be a hinderence to them migrating to IPv6.

> Can I suggest you submit your patch(s) to the relevant bug(s), unless I
> was misreading you haven't done that yet.
I will submit patches for the ones I am able to do. Some of the bugs are
very general and willl require a lot of changes in many different parts
of the code. (Also, remember that I don't do much C programming, so any
code I produce will be slow to write and bug rich!)

As I understand it there will need to be changes made to:
1) Build system
2) Testing
3) Server code
4) Client code
5) Confguration files
6) Management tools
7) Documentation

What I want to attempt to do is write up some IPv6 guidance. From
talking to folks at SambaXP I believe that there are some key things
that need to be understood in order to IPv6 enable Samba3 effectively.
I'm also happy to help out constructing test labs, doing some testing
and answering IPv6 questions.

David
Dr David Holder CEng MIET MIEEE

Erion Ltd, Oakleigh, Upper Sutherland Road, Halifax, HX3 8NT

Reception: +44 (0)1422 207000

Direct Dial: +44 (0)131 2026317

Cell: +44 (0) 7768 456831

Registered in England and Wales. Registered Number 3521142
VAT Number: GB 698 3633 78