[Fwd: Re: 3.0.25 svn rev. 21433]

Thomas Bork tombork at web.de
Sun Mar 4 19:09:36 GMT 2007

Jelmer Vernooij wrote:

> If we'd import samba-vscan, that would mean that we'd have to make sure
> it keeps building and working during API changes, and also that we'd
> have to make sure the vscan side of it keeps working.

The vscan side *is* working today. The problem is the API change in 3.0.25.

It is easy for you (the samba team) to introduce API changes in Samba in
every x version. I agree - it is a time consuming task to ensure that
all common vfs modules are working with these API changes.

Rainer Link wrote a very useful vfs module with samba-vscan. This module
is used in many distributions. But he is too busy to customize his
module to every API change.

I hope that samba-vscan is added in the near future to the samba tree
and thats why continued working with samba.
Maybe the pressure to customize *more* vfs modules will lead to less API
changes in the future ;)

der tom