High load server getting NTLM messages mixed?

Todd Stecher todd.stecher at isilon.com
Tue Jun 26 23:53:07 GMT 2007

A client with extremely high load on their Samba server is
intermittently hitting this code in smbd/sesssetup.c:

if (!global_ntlmssp_state) {
		/* auth before negotiatiate? */
		return ERROR_NT(NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER);
	}

This is 3.0.11 - apparently he tried this on a later version with
minimal problems (unfortunately, we have not as yet released a
"newer" version of Samba on our product :( ) - does anyone know if
this was an issue that was specifically fixed?  I didn't see anything
obvious in bugzilla.samba.org.

There is a literal ton of NTLMSSP traffic against this server, and in
many cases different auth contexts are interleaved in the wire - it
seems that the errors I'm seeing in the sniff occur when these
messages get intertwined.

Given that, and the presence of a "global" static struct
auth_ntlmssp_state *global_ntlmssp_state, I suspect this was fixed by
revision 8472 2 years ago (dang - we are dangerously out of date here).

http://viewcvs.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi?rev=8472&view=rev

Andrew / Jerry - Can you confirm?  I could not find anything related
to parallel NTLM processing in bugzilla...

Todd Stecher | Windows Interop Dev
Isilon Systems    P +1-206-315-7500     F  +1-206-315-7501
www.isilon.com    D +1-206-315-7638    M +1-425-205-1180