[Patch]Handle git/git-svn checkouts in mkversion.sh

simo idra at samba.org
Tue Jun 26 11:45:41 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 23:57 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Kai,
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Now that Jerry set up a git repository, I've fixed mkversion.sh
> > to give a  useful revision number. As the full sha-1 committish is
> > a bit long, I've  settled for the first eight hex numbers of
> > the committish.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> +1 from me.    I show the following revision in my local branch
>
>   Samba("3.0.27pre1-GIT-0bd4d99e-[SVN-SAMBA_3_0 at 23601]")
>
> I have noticed that mkversion.sh is newer in SAMBA_4_0 so
> I'll merge it across nice you check this in.

I guess there is no guarantee that the half hash you get from GIT will
me always greater then the previous one. So in this case it is probably
more advisable to add the date. The version is useful only if ti gives
you a way to guess where in time it has been taken. A random hash makes
it only unique but it is not otherwise useful imo.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer