Short HOWTO on using git for Samba development

simo idra at samba.org
Mon Jun 25 14:13:20 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-25 at 09:02 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> simo wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 17:34 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> >>
> >>   http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Using_Git_for_Samba_Development
> >>

> > Now we miss only mercurial :-)
>
> True.  I haven't tried mercurial.  But I will say that the
> memory and space requirements (in addition to the better speed)
> of git have displaced bzr on my list currently.  Git has a
> a steep learning curve, but here are some space numbers that
> make up for it IMO.

Yeah tried before and I was disgusted, but I will try to give it another
go and see if it has improved, I tried it very early.

> The git tree I posted has the 3.0.23 - 3.0.26, 3.0 and 4.0 branches
> and is less than 100M (1/3 of the SAMBA_4_0 bzr mirror alone).  And
> to pull that tree at home (basic broadband) is about 3 minutes.

Yeah I was _suprised_ I really had all trees when it took less than a
minut for me, I thought there was only the indexes, then when I did the
checkout and it appeared in no time, I realized it was _very_ fast.

> If we were to swap to git, the full svn import would be < 160M
> so the pull be only be slightly longer.

The only problem I see with git/bzr as the main tree is that it seem to
introduce a gatekeeper to the "official" tree forcing all people to send
around patches instead of just committing.
This work flow model is ok if a few people work on a very isolated part
of a tree, or on some experimental features, but if you need to
collaborate it may make things more annoying.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer