EPOLL_CTL_ADD failed (Bad file descriptor) in TP5

Frank Gruman fgatwork at verizon.net
Wed Jun 13 03:06:28 GMT 2007

Metze,

Thanks for the feedback...

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 13:51 +0200, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:

> > The second scenario is where I am stuck - Samba 4 PDC with Win2k3 BDC.
> > I currently receive the following error when I try to create the server
> > as a BDC:
> >
> >         Failed to modify SPNs on
> >         cn=brokenbox,cn=computers,dc=myhome,dc=int: kludge_acl_change:
> >         attempted database modify not permitted. User MYHOME\BROKENBOX$
> >         is not SYSTEM or an administrator
>
> As stated in the release notes we have only very primitive access
> checking...And that doesn't use ntSecurityDescriptor's yet...

Thanks.  I didn't catch that out of the README other than for swat and
registry.

> >         EPOLL_CTL_ADD failed (Bad file descriptor) - falling back to
> >         select()
> >         EPOLL_CTL_ADD failed (Bad file descriptor) - falling back to
> >         select()
> >         EPOLL_CTL_ADD failed (Bad file descriptor) - falling back to
> >         select()
>
> I wonder why this happens, does this also happen with other network
> operations?

Yes - this happens with just about every network operation (login,
folder access, file access, etc).

        toybox:~ # smbd -i
        smbd version 4.0.0tp5-SVN-build-23403 started.
        Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2007
        smbd: using 'standard' process model
        EPOLL_CTL_ADD failed (Bad file descriptor) - falling back to
        select()
        EPOLL_CTL_ADD failed (Bad file descriptor) - falling back to
        select()
        EPOLL_CTL_ADD failed (Bad file descriptor) - falling back to
        select()
        EPOLL_CTL_ADD failed (Bad file descriptor) - falling back to
        select()
        EPOLL_CTL_ADD failed (Bad file descriptor) - falling back to
        select()
        EPOLL_CTL_ADD failed (Bad file descriptor) - falling back to
        select()
        EPOLL_CTL_ADD failed (Bad file descriptor) - falling back to
        select()
        EPOLL_CTL_ADD failed (Bad file descriptor) - falling back to
        select()
        make_connection: couldn't find service SYSVOL
        EPOLL_CTL_ADD failed (Bad file descriptor) - falling back to
        select()
        EPOLL_CTL_ADD failed (Bad file descriptor) - falling back to
        select()

Strange thing today - the system can't find SYSVOL.  The only thing I've
done is power down and restart the box since yesterday.  I've even
bounced the SMBD processes.  I may blow out and rebuild again.

> > The Windows server name is brokenbox and begins this process as a
> > non-domain server.  My Samba4 PDC is running on openSUSE 10.3 Alpha 4+.
> > I am logging in with the domain administrator account.  After the
> > installation has failed the server then belongs to the domain, but not
> > as a BDC.  If I start the wizard again, it performs the same steps and
> > fails with the same error.
>
> Samba4 doesn't support replicating *to* windows servers yet,
> it only has a very limited support for replication *from* windows servers...
>
> If you would solve the above problem with the changing of the SPN
> you would come to the next problem very fast. There's a lot more missing
> until a windows DC would run in a domain that was created using samba4.

I'd love to try to help get Samba 4 up and out the door.  I am an open
source evangelist at work and, other than that, a relatively strong
"anything but MS" advocate  I'm a bit of a hack at coding (I'm the
system administrator of my lab at work, but do SQL database work
primarily).  I can test and even understand most of the code when I read
it.  But unfortunately I am not much of a writer.  If you point me in a
general direction in the code I will go and figure out what it is doing
and make sense of it there to resolve my problems and possibly shine
some light on solutions.

Regards,
Frank