svn commit: samba r23389 - in branches/SAMBA_3_0/source: .

James Peach jpeach at samba.org
Fri Jun 8 23:09:05 GMT 2007

On 08/06/2007, at 3:44 PM, Michael Adam wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 08:55:42AM -0700, James Peach wrote:
>> On Jun 8, 2007, at 7:37 AM, obnox at samba.org wrote:
>>>
>>> Log:
>>> Disabling ACL support on Darwin/Mac OS X for now.
>>>
>>> Current configure check detects posix ACL support
>>> but compile of modules/vfs_posixacl.c fails due
>>> to missing defines in sys/acl.h:
>>> ACL_USER, ACL_USER_OBJ, ACL_GROUP, ACL_GROUP_OBJ, ACL_OTHER,
>>> ACL_MASK, ACL_WRITE, ACL_READ
>>>
>>> It has to be investigated, if this can be fixed within
>>> the posixacl vfs module or if we need a darwinacl module.
>>
>> The Darwin ACL model is a lot closer to the Windows/NFS4 model
>> than it
>> is to the traditional Posix model. I have a module, which I'll post
>> for review in due time. If you have a particular need for it, I can
>> accelerate the process.
>
> Yes, I would like to see that module. No hurry though - samba
> didn't have working Darwin ACL support up to now if I am not
> mistaken.
>
> Is the module you are referring to by chance the one available under
> http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/Current/samba-100.7/
> darwin_vfs/darwin_acls.c

Yep, though its now slightly altered from that code.

> In this case, it does of course not fit into our acl schema.
> But with some work it could (judging from a first glance)
> be integrated.
> Or do you already have something that integrates with upstream Samba?

Well we hook in at the nt_acl VFS layer, not the POSIX ACL layer
though I could probably add support for that as well. I guess we
could do the native->NFSv4->NT conversion, but it feels icky. I'll
look at it more closely when the time comes.

> I don't have any special or urgent need, just want to make Samba's
> ACL support more complete.

Ok, no rush then

James Peach | jpeach at samba.org