[Query] Smbtorture Vs NBENCH

Yasuma Takeda yasumaster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 02:26:00 GMT 2007

Hi,

Mayur S wrote:
> Hi All ,
> I want to run NBENCH , so I come to know that smbtorture in samba
> source does the same thing.But I am able to find torture directory but
> no "smbtorture" binary?
>
> And If I want to collect smbtorture result in between ADS server
> (resides on win2k3) and linux box (not capable to run any binary)
> where should I run that binary?
>
> My questions :
> 1] Smbtorture is an alterantive for NBENCH? what is other similar tool
> for the same?
> 2] Whats the exact path and syntax to run smbtorture?
> 3] Is Client runs the binary ?
I am using smbtorture instead of NBENCH.
Following is my way to use smbtorture. But I'm not sure this way is
correct or not.

$ tar xfz samba-3.0.24.tar.gz
$ cd samba-3.0.24/source
$ ./configure
$ make all
$ make smbtorture
You can get the "smbtorture" binary in source/bin directory.

Please copy the "smbtorture" binary to Linux client machine.

And create "smb.conf" on Samba server.
[global]
    security = share
[netbench]
    path = /tmp/netbench
    read only = no
    guest ok = yes

Next, you can get "client_oplocks.txt" file  from dbench-2.1.tar.gz
http://samba.org/ftp/tridge/dbench/dbech-2.1.tar.gz
Please copy the "client_oplocks.txt"  file to  the same directory
of the "smbtorture" binary on client.

Please start "smbd" on Samba server.

And start smbtorture on client.
$ ./smbtorture  //192.168.0.1/netbench  -U%  -N  20  NBENCH
You can change by -N option how many smbtorture processes work.

Please replace "192.168.0.1" to your Samba server.

Best Regards,
Yasuma Takeda