Wishlist for Samba4 test subsystem

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Wed Jan 31 11:18:01 GMT 2007

Hi Andrew,

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 04:20:17PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> I wanted to see if you could perhaps apply some of your magic to
> Samba4's test subsystem.  In particular, to reconfiguring smbd while
> within the test environment.

> What we need is the ability to shut down smbd, and restart it with a
> different configuration.  Or, we need to be able to start a new smbd, on
> a different 'IP'.  Or something...

> However we achive it, I want to be able to run some of the basic tests
> with smbd using Simo's LDB shares backend, and likewise with smbd using
> the LDAP backend onto OpenLDAP/Fedora DS.  I want this to be part of the
> normal 'make test', so that it is always tested.

> Is there any chance you can factor this into your perl test work?
Yes, I think we need a more generic way to specify the environment
required for a particular test. selftest.pl allows running all tests
that match a particular regex and so it'd be nice to not have to setup
smbd if you're just running local tests.

One of the ways might be to simply allow an 'environment' argument for
each test and have a list of predefined test environments (such as
ldap-smbd, none, smbd, rpc-server, etc).

Cheers,

Jelmer