Vista and adding printer drivers

Martin Zielinski mz at seh.de
Mon Jan 29 09:26:32 GMT 2007

Jeremy Allison schrieb:
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 01:41:23PM -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
>>
>> Martin Zielinski wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> Short question: Is someone actually working on supporting the
>>> DRIVER_INFO_8 struct?
>> Nope.  Not on any todo list (although I am planning on getting
>> my Vista VM up next week).
>
> It's actually documented here :

> although how much this corresponds with what is on
> the wire is anyone's guess.
>
> What does Vista do when adding a driver to a downlevel
> server (ie. Windows 2000) - what is the message returned
> on the wire that makes it fall-back to level 6 ?

It's a DCERPC fault response.
But not the DCERPC_FAULT_OP_RNG_ERROR (0x1c010002) but a
DCERPC_FAULT_INVALID_TAG (DCERPC_FAULT_INVALID_TAG) response.
Hard-coding the change in srv_pipe_hnd.c - process_complete_pdu () makes
the installation successfull. It seems, that the fault response should
be more flexible to the fault reason.

> Can you post an ethereal capture of that traffic ?

I made a trace from vista->xp and vista->samba. But each file is about
4MB in size. If you want them, I can send them to you offlist.

~ Martin