Samba 3.0 - Bug preventing mkfifo as non-root

Anders Karlsson trudheim at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 02:43:25 GMT 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 11:43 -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> Ok, just checked this here at home. Did a mount.cifs as
> myself and created a fifo using mkfifo on the mounted
> share no problem.
>
> I'm using the latest CIFSFS version (but then I just
> check out Steve's svn tree localy). The latest version
> number I can find (he really should use a version.h
> file !) is 1.46.
>
> You need to have the unix extensions enabled in smbd to
> allow this, but that should be by default.

Grabbed the src.rpm or 3.0.23d and built on my FC6 system. Behaviour is
exactly the same as with Fedoras 3.0.23c. Interestingly, mount.cifs is
still version 1.10 in those samba packages. Would that have anything to
do with creation of FIFOs failing?

I would be really interested in seeing the actual patch / commit that
enabled this to work. It would be useful for tinkering around with.

Thanks!

--
Anders Karlsson <trudheim at gmail.com>