Samba 3.0 - Bug preventing mkfifo as non-root

Anders Karlsson trudheim at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 21:21:13 GMT 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 11:43 -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 07:39:22PM +0000, Anders Karlsson wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 11:26 -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> >
> > > No, it was a much earlier change than that. I know
> > > you can create a fifo using cifsfs on an smbd share
> > > (although I'll retest myself over the weekend). What
> > > version of the cifsfs client are you using ?
> >
> > Okay, if it was an earlier change, it should work in FC6, but it fails
> > there. By cifsfs client, I am guessing you mean the version of the cifs
> > kernel module. At the moment in my FC6 test system, that is version
> > 1.45. On a RHEL4U4 system, it is version 1.34.
> >
> > I'll try and up the debug levels everywhere and capture as much as
> > possible. A quick strace of the mkfifo command gives a EACCES error
> > though.
>
> Ok, just checked this here at home. Did a mount.cifs as
> myself and created a fifo using mkfifo on the mounted
> share no problem.

On FC6 I have; samba-{,client-,common-}-3.0.23c. mount.cifs is version
1.10 (!) and cifs kernel module is version 1.45.

> I'm using the latest CIFSFS version (but then I just
> check out Steve's svn tree localy). The latest version
> number I can find (he really should use a version.h
> file !) is 1.46.

FC6 seems to be some way away from where mkfifo will work, which means
RHEL4 will be even less likely to be able to do this.

> You need to have the unix extensions enabled in smbd to
> allow this, but that should be by default.

Yes, unix extensions is enabled and I mount with
'mount.cifs //localhost/test /mnt/test -o setuids,user=cifs' on my test
system.

I may have to try building samba trunk to see if I can get this working.

Thanks,

--
Anders Karlsson <trudheim at gmail.com>