Support for NFS4 ACLs on Suns ZFS Filesystem

Jiri Sasek Jiri.Sasek at Sun.COM
Fri Jan 19 08:47:02 GMT 2007

Hi Ralf

I am responsible for sustaining of open source products bundled to
Solaris (located in /usr/sfw/...) and samba among the others.

Support of ACLs on ZFS i problem because the ZFS completely changed the
ACL model (from posix masks to allow/deny lists) and there is no trivial
method to convert ACLs between the UFS and ZFS. For more details please
see the acl(2) man page on Solaris 10 update 2 or higher ...also on
Solaris Nevada.

Currently I am working on this support and I will target it to the
samba-3.0.24 which offer the modularized VFS modules for ACL handling. I
derived my work from modules/vfs_afsacl.c module which seems to work in
very similar conditions.

I am not syncing my work with the samba.org team but this is the
priority in Sun because this problem (missing ACL support on ZFS storage
share) is escalated by the big customers of Sun so I hope it will be
available in 2-3 weeks when I will start discussion with the samba.org
team if they will accept my commitment.

Regards

Jura