New LDAP C API

Howard Chu hyc at highlandsun.com
Tue Feb 13 18:45:21 GMT 2007

Andrew Bartlett and I were having a conversation about LDAP APIs and how
terrible the current one is, and the fact that the Samba team has
implemented their own. On the OpenLDAP Project we've had redesigning the
API on our TODO list for a number of years, but there was never enough
time/energy to get it done. It seems that perhaps now there may be
enough energy, at least, so I've dug up our old list of API flaws and
posted it here http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/LDAP_C_API

I've already invited folks from the Fedora Directory Server team to
participate in this new design, and I'd like to get input from you folks
too. Anybody who's done a significant amount of work with LDAP has
probably cursed the API more than a few times. Let's fix it.

--
  -- Howard Chu