[SAMBA4] Python Status

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Dec 28 07:47:45 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 01:06 +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> The support for Python I have been working on for some time now
> is now getting close to completion. Provisioning using the
> Python code works now and is being tested. "make test" still uses
> the EJS provision to set up the dc and domain member.
>
> To try out the Python provision code with make test, export
> "PROVISION_PYTHON=yes". Note that this won't show anything different as the
> EJS and Python provisioning scripts do exactly the same thing.

I get:

PROVISIONING MEMBER...schema_fsmo_init: no schema dn present: (skip
schema loading)
naming_fsmo_init: no partitions dn present: (skip loading of naming
contexts details)
pdc_fsmo_init: no domain dn present: (skip loading of domain details)
schema_fsmo_init: no schema head present: (skip schema loading)
naming_fsmo_init: no partitions dn present: (skip loading of naming
contexts details)
pdc_fsmo_init: no domain object present: (skip loading of domain
details)

I think you should also test the LDAP mode:
PROVISION_PYTHON=yes TEST_LDAP=yes OPENLDAP_ROOT=/data/openldap/prefix
make testenv

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./setup/provision.py", line 137, in <module>
    if not opts.ldap_module:
AttributeError: Values instance has no attribute 'ldap_module'

> All of the Python bindings and functions, except for the ones in
> samba.samba3.upgrade, have matching tests.

Is there anything particular getting in the way of upgrade tests, aside
from time?

> There are a couple of hosts on the build farm that do not
> have Python installed yet (3 if I remember correctly). I will follow
> up on this later.
>
> The following things also still need to be finished before Python can
> provide everything that EJS provides right now:
>
> * DCE/RPC bindings: There are no Python bindings generated by pidl
>   yet. This is probably the biggest thing at the moment.

Should we have DCE/RPC bindings, or libnet bindings?  While it's more
work to provide sane APIs, perhaps that is more at the level python
programmers want?

(I actually suspect they want both).

> * dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/tests/samba3sam.py doesn't pass yet (port of
>  ../testprogs/samba3sam.js)
> * lib/ldb/tests/python/ldap.py doesn't pass yet (port of
>   ../testprogs/ejs/ldap.js)
> * Install python modules into system. At the moment only the smbpython
>   binary is installed, but it would be nice if "ordinary" Python users
>   could also use the Samba python modules.
> * SWAT: The web server code still uses EJS. We could probably postpone
>   this until after the switch to Python.

I would at least like to see a command-line way to vampire a server
before we killed SWAT (as there isn't another way to do it in one
spot).

> However, I'm interested in feedback on the Python code at this point. I
> will continue working on finishing the support for Python (hopefully done by
> the first week of the new year..). And I will of course send a
> merge request once I'm actually done...

I don't like the way we no longer use a global dictionary for the
substitutions.  I would prefer to have all subs available in all files,
if possible.

This pattern:

    setup_add_ldif(samdb, setup_path("provision_rootdse_add.ldif"), {
        "SCHEMADN": schemadn,
        "NETBIOSNAME": netbiosname,
        "DNSDOMAIN": dnsdomain,
        "DEFAULTSITE": DEFAULTSITE,
        "REALM": realm,

Seems to defeat the purpose of having these consistent subs in the first
place...

Thanks,