Samba 4 - Join results - r26353

Michele Baldessari michele-lists at pupazzo.org
Mon Dec 10 20:45:42 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 12:56 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 14:29 +0100, Michele Baldessari wrote:
> > Hi Samba4 hackers,
> >
> > I took some time today to test the current samba4 (r26353). Here are the
> > results of joining 2000, 2003 and XP clients against a SAMBA4 DC:
> >
> > - 2000 - SUCCESS
> >
> > http://michele.pupazzo.org/files/samba/20071209/samba4-2000-join.log
> > http://michele.pupazzo.org/files/samba/20071209/2000-client-join.pcap
> >
> > - XP - FAILURE
> >
> > http://michele.pupazzo.org/files/samba/20071209/xp-client-join.pcap
> > http://michele.pupazzo.org/files/samba/20071209/samba4-xp-join.log
> >
> > - 2003 - FAILURE
> >
> > http://michele.pupazzo.org/files/samba/20071209/samba4-2003-join.log
> > http://michele.pupazzo.org/files/samba/20071209/2003-client-join.pcap
> >
> > At the above links you'll find smbd logs (level 5) and traffic traces.
>
> I think the issue is that your WinXP client cannot contact Samba's LDAP
> port.  The client's connection is refused with a TCP reset in packets
> 129. 131 133.  This causes the join to be undone.

Hi Andrew,

(ok there is something a little fishy going on...)
I've just updated the svn tree to todays snapshot and it worked. I see
you expanded the torture test but nothing else, but just to be sure I
reverted to -r26353 and it did work (unlike before). No firewalls were
ever involved (it's a flat network without anything messing in between).

Then I redid the -r26353 build from scratch, removed the install dir
(/usr/local/samba) and re-provisioned: again the error.
Retried from todays revision and again no go.

I'll see if I can find a more stable pattern here. If you need traces or
more infos, let me know

mfg,
Michele