[Samba 4] SWAT

Derrell Lipman derrell at samba.org
Thu Aug 30 12:35:03 GMT 2007

On 8/30/07, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 08:26 +0200, Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I thought also a bit to get some opinions about the "new" SWAT in SAMBA
> > 4. Because to me seems it unmaintained at the moment and the compilation
> > with the autogen.sh is an exercise to patient. Maybe should it be left
> > outside from the normal build. The option AUTOGEN_SKIP_SWAT isn't enough
> > for me, because then, at the installation point it is requested!
>
> While I too have reservations about the new SWAT, I think the path
> forward is to fix up the new LDB browser (which to my mind is the main
> part of value in the 'new SWAT').
>
> That said, Samba4's SWAT desperately needs some care and attention.  Can
> someone step up and take that on?  This area of web programming isn't
> something I'm comfortable with - I'll keep hacking on the old style
> stuff for the moment - but the LDB browser could be a very useful
> function and central administration point.

It is still my intention to do some infrastructure work on SWAT.  Of
particular importance is converting it to qooxdoo 0.7 which will allow
us to separate the qooxdoo core from the Samba-specific application.
The whole AUTOGEN_SKIP_SWAT mess should just go away.  Effectively,
our application will "link" with a qooxdoo "library".

That said, I've been wanting to do this work for the last couple of
months and just haven't found the time yet.  Hopefully I'll get to it
in the not too far future.

I created the application framework of SWAT with a "module plugin"
interface in hopes that others would then be inclined to add "modules"
for each of the required bits of configuration, reporting, etc.
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have happened much; only Simo's
modifications to my LDB browser and Mimir's new user configuration
stuff, I think.  If I do my intended infrastructure work, do we expect
that others will find an interest in adding modules?

Cheers,

Derrell