Architcecture for winbindd client character conversion.

simo idra at samba.org
Tue Aug 28 19:06:44 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 11:52 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 02:42:17PM -0400, simo wrote:
>
> > Just for the records, I was not implying nss_ldap or nis does anything
> > better or absolutely right that we don't, just that we are helpless like
> > all other nss plugins.
>
> No we are not. We can fix this (as could the ldap nss code).

Yes we are, you can;t support arbitrary broken setups, no matter how
hard you try.

> > It's not the nss plugin job to mess with locales.
>
> Did you read my proposal ?

Yes.

>  Winbindd will mess with
> the character set conversion, nss will merely tell
> winbindd what character set the current client is
> using.

The fact that our nss plugin use an external component does not change
the semantics of the problem. You are trying to fix a configuration
mistake or a wrong use by adding a wrong (IMO) fix.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer