Architcecture for winbindd client character conversion.

Tue Aug 28 08:54:15 GMT 2007

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 10:36:18AM +0200, Björn Jacke wrote:

> that means a winbind client running in legacy en_US locale will for
> example see a iso8859-1 encoded user name "domänen administrator" while
> at the same time a 'getent passwd "domänen administrator"' on the
> same system gives *nothing*. That will be because libc will not do any
> conversion and IIRC the correcponding nsswitch functions do not care
> about locales at all. Instead the same user via nsswitch will have a
> "totally different" name: "domänen administrator" - which is again
> not known by a "localized" winbind.
>
> Am I wrong? Otherwise I'm not so convinced that such a conversion
> is a good idea.

Even if this would be ok, doesn't this add something coming
from the same corner where "winbind use default domain" also
sits? Can't we keep this in the NSS libs? Metze is rewriting
the winbind pipe anyway to use auto-generated marshalling,
so this will change anyway.

Volker