Proposed solve following problem before release alpha.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Aug 24 06:06:58 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 12:33 +0800, KS Tan wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm another user who already test samba 4 quite much, proposed hold the
> alpha untill:
>
> 1.  samba 4 support support wins

It already does this.  Have you had a problem with the WINS support?

> 2.  have option in smb.conf to dynamic update dns server.

Some of this is around, if we can integrate it nicely, then perhaps it
will make an alpha.  But I suspect it's more alpha2 material.

> 3. support print sharing

This would hold the release for another year, so I can't support this as
a requirement.  (Printing is one of most insanely complex areas of
Samba).

> 4. group policy apply to computer (currently apply to user only)

I'll need a fair bit more help to figure out why this is.  Is it just
that computers need the matching machine$ account in the system's
account DB?

> 5. During create user/groups from active directory user and computer,
> the unixName for the object we created will fill in on the fly(assume
> samba useraccount=unixname).

The logic of the code that reads this attribute already assumes that
mapping, if unixName is already set.  Have you had any problems with
this?

> I strongly suggest using this method
> because I found that swat is not yet ready and 'active directory user
> and computer(dsa.msc)' is user friendly enough. Otherwise we need to use
> windows support tools or swat to manage it, its too troublesome(SWAT
> still contain many bugs).

Have you reported these?  I know about the issue viewing users, but what
are the others?

> * for myself, alpha stage should have more complete basic functionality,

Can you spell this out a bit more?  Just the things noted above, or do
you see other gaping holes (on the Domain Control side in particular)?

> just waiting to debug and improve. Hopefully after few month we can hope
> easier to manage samba 4 directory services.
> *anyway, I believe its near and everything I'm mentioned almost ready
> and not hard to configure.

The challenge I have is:  Where do we go from here?

I don't mean to brush off your comments - I seriously value your
feedback, as otherwise this is a one-man echo chamber.  So the question
is:

If I were to make a release in the next 2 weeks (as is the plan), how
would you suggest we name it?

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.