Are we ready for a Samba4 alpha?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Aug 23 06:37:44 GMT 2007

Matthias,

As you have been the driving force behind much of my work on Samba4 in
the past few weeks, and have been seriously testing it out, I wanted to
ask your opinion:

Are we ready to release an alpha?  As a user, rather than a developer,
does what we have now meet what you would expect of an alpha?

In terms of benchmarks we promised at SambaXP 06, I think we are:

We said:

> Before we release an alpha, we will have:
> Primitive AD Domain Logon
>  - Just doing the join/logon enough for some
>    workgroups
>    - Similar to what Samba 2.2 was with NT4
>  - Platform for future Group Policy implemention
>    - We think it's easy, but not sure yet
>  - MMC support
>    - Command line tools
>  - Samba3 client support

I think we have all of these:

Domain join works well, from all clients
Group policy works (at least for very simple demos)
MMC Active Directory Users and Computers works, for the basics at least
Samba3 and MacOS both join and work as member servers

We have an LDB layout that is pretty much as-final.  The research on
DRSUAPI has finalised the formats for the previously hidden attributes.
(We may still require a re-provision, but user data should survive being
exported as LDIF and re-imported).

I wish the cluster support was better integrated, and we had better
winbind support, but even without those, I hope that a first Samba4
alpha release will be of great value to many folks.  (There will no
doubt be many before we do a beta and final release).

Thoughts?

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.