Options/arguments smbd, nmbd winbindd

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Fri Aug 17 23:18:54 GMT 2007

Hi!

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 10:48:48AM -0400, David Collier-Brown wrote:
>   This is actually an instance of the "controlled change" problem, one
> where users need to take action, in this case by changing the smb.conf
> file, to adapt to a change.

Karolin's proposal is not about invalid options in smb.conf but
about invalid command line options when invoking the daemons!

I think it is a good idea to have smbd and friends refuse from
starting when invoked with unknown or incomplete (cmdline)
parameters. There are two typical scenarios:

Usually, you have samba packaged by someone (a linux
distributor say), and you start it by the start script provided.
I guess it is not expecting too much from the provider to call
the daemons correctly?

If on the other hand you have a self compiled samba, you
will not have a problem adapting your start script to match
the newly installed version (in the unlikely case that the
allowed cmdline parameters have changed with the new version).

So +1 from me for starting the daemons only with correct
commandline. :-)

Cheers, Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9