wbinfo -u (security = ads) does not show computers after upgrade to 3.0.25b any more

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Aug 1 13:07:22 GMT 2007

Hansjörg Maurer wrote:
> Hi
>
> I still did not find a solution to the problem, therefore I would like
> to ask the technical list...
>

> After an upgrade from 3.0.21c to 3.0.25b
> wbinfo -u only shows the Users
>
> DOMAIN\user
> and not the computers
> DOMAIN\PCNAME$
>
> like it did before

I'd have to look at the svn logs.  I don't remember a specific
change here.  Is this causing your a problem?  Or are you just
curious?

> In the logs I see
>
> [2006/02/17 09:10:46, 1] smbd/sesssetup.c:reply_spnego_kerberos(250)
>   Username DOMAIN\PCNAME$ is invalid on this system
>
> We use
>
> idmap domains =  DOMAIN
> idmap config DOMAIN:backend  = nss
> idmap config DOMAIN:readonly = yes
>
> because we use the Unix-User and Group  information from NIS
>
> I am not sure, if we should ignore the message form above, or if
> something is missconfigured :-)

The error msg is technically correct.  Whether this is a problem
for you depends.  Windows clients in an AD domain use the machine
trust account for browsing for DFS referrals.

In this case (also for using the idmap ad backend), I set
a username map script like so:

	#!/usr/bin/perl
	print "compguest\n" if ( $ARGV[0] =~ /.*\$$/ );

and map all machines to the Unix user compguest.

cheers, jerry