svn commit: samba r22132 - in branches: SAMBA_3_0/source/modules SAMBA_3_0/source/smbd SAMBA_3_0_25/source/modules SAMBA_3_0_25/source/smbd

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Apr 9 01:56:44 GMT 2007

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 06:35:18PM -0700, James Peach wrote:

> They're not *exactly* the same, but they are mostly the same. The
> difference is quite subtle. This patch should resolve the differences:

I don't think this is the same. The readahead code
does readahead every time a pread/sendfile is requested
at an offset of (offset % boundary) == 0.

>From what I can see this patch doesn't do that.

Commit it if you like but my opinion is that
the modules are different enough that I intend
to keep the vfs_readahead one separate.

Also, to use the current one with defaults
that are exactly tuned to Vista you just use :

vfs objects = readahead

and you get the speedup (on Linux at least,
and that's our major platform). I like that
simplicity and I don't want to lose it.

I know you wrote (and like :-) the cacheprime
module, but that was for a very specific SGI
setup as I recall and I don't think they are
similar enough to merge. They *look* similar
but they're doing different things and it'd
be simpler to leave them that way (IMHO).

Jeremy.