svn commit: samba r22037 - in branches/SAMBA_4_0/source/build/smb_build: .

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Tue Apr 3 02:23:22 GMT 2007

James,

 > I think the right thing might be to require GNU Make for $srcdir !=
 > $builddir. If you search the automake mailing list, there are claims
 > that GNU Make is the only make that implements VPATH "correctly".

I think we can do $srcdir != $builddir correctly without GNU make.

If you have a look at the build farm, you'll see that ldb, talloc, tdb
and libreplace are all built and tested with $srcdir != $builddir. All
of them build on both BSD systems without GNU make and on systems with
GNU make. So it is possible, it just needs to be done carefully :)

I also think it's worthwhile, as otherwise support for $builddir !=
$srcdir will atrophy (as has happened before).  If you look at line
470 of build_test.fns in the build_farm, you'll see that currently we
force tdb, talloc, ldb and libreplace to build with a separate
builddir. Ideally, I'd like to add Samba4 to that list, so that as
soon as anyone does something to break it, then we will get build
breakage emails.

If we restrict building outside of the source directory in Samba4 to
GNU make, then we won't enable it on the build farm, and it will
inevitably atrophy and break over time.

Cheers, Tridge