svn commit: samba r18875 - in branches/SAMBA_3_0/source/groupdb: .

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Sun Sep 24 22:34:29 GMT 2006

Volker,

 > It failed to upgrade my existing group_mapping.tdb. See the
 > attached logfile & example db.

ahh, I see, thanks!

Simo, this is triggering the check at line 607 of ldb_msg.c:

	ldb_asprintf_errstring(ldb, "Element %s has empty attribute in ldb message (%s)!",
				    msg->elements[i].name,
				    ldb_dn_linearize(mem_ctx, msg->dn));
	talloc_free(mem_ctx);
	return LDB_ERR_INVALID_ATTRIBUTE_SYNTAX;

I guess this is a ldap standards compliance check? Are empty
attributes always not allowed in ldap or is there some property we can
add to allow them to be empty? Having to special case this in the
calling code isn't the best approach I think.

 > Feel free to revert my patch and fix the bug properly.

now I see the log, your patch may in fact be the best approach without
a change to ldb_msg_add_string(). It just surprised me, as I hadn't
noticed that ldap compliance test in the ldb code (Simo has done a lot
of ldap compliance work this year that I haven't gone over in detail).

Cheers, Tridge