ldb speed

simo idra at samba.org
Mon Oct 30 22:57:17 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 09:46 +1100, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> Simo,
>
>  > This holds true if you move one OU, but if you move 100 objects (select
>  > and drag) you have 100 renames. So you end up with the inefficient way.
>
> If what goes over the wire is 100 separate renames, then yes, it will
> be slower, as it will be 100 separate transactions. If what goes over
> the wire is one rename of a subtree then we should be able to do it in
> a single pass.
>
>  > I agree on this principle, just trying to find out what's best.
>  > For example, how do you deal with references outside the tree?
>
> ldb+tdb has just about no knowledge of 'trees', so I don't really know
> what you mean by a 'reference outside the tree'. Certainly a reference
> between different ldap subtrees is no different then references within
> some arbitrary subtree.
>
> Maybe you mean references between ldap servers?

Yes.

>  > We may just choose to ignore these, but than we may have to deal with
>  > broken refs, or worst the wrong object (after 2 renames a->b c->a)
>
> I don't understand this. Can you give a more specific example?

At the moment I don't have a forest with 2 separate domains in it to
test, but IIRC you can have groups in one domain reference users/groups
in another domain as members.

Now if that is true then how do we handle a rename in domain A if the
renamed object is referred in domain B?

GUID is the best key to handle this cases, and coupled with a cache for
GUID->DN of foreign domains fast enough too.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Samba Team GPL Compliance Officer